Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Top 10 Rock Songs of All Time?

Here is a story about a poll by British radio station PLANET ROCK, in which their listeners picked the top 10 rock songs of all time. I think that a similar result would have been reached if they'd polled the Mallet Assembly (residential honors program at the University of Alabama) during my stay in the late 80's-early 90's. The Led Zeppelin content would have been the same, though KISS, Rush, and the Beatles would also have been represented.

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" garnered 70% of the vote, but what really surprised me was that Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird" came in second....I wonder if those snaggle-toothed Brits also liked "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Gimme Two Steps".

From age 13, when my Uncle Dan gave me "ZOSO" for Christmas, until my late 20's, Zep was the music most likely to be heard coming out of my speakers. Heck, I even loved (and ate a Shoney's dinner with) Dread Zeppelin. Then suddenly, my liking for their music seemed to ebb. Nowadays, I don't change the station if one of their songs come on, but I pop in a Zep CD no more often than once a month, and my MP3 player's Led Zepplin content is less than 1%.

Here's another "Tops" song list, but it's actually useful, as it has the tablature and lyrics, for my fellow rock-star wannabees.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

It's apparent to me that whoever was involved in the Top 500 chart referred to in that last link was well over 50 and obviously needs more fiber in their diet. Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" # 487 ? Bruce Springsteen SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ON THE LIST at all. Anyone that needs tablature to play a Springsteen song should just put down the guitar and give up.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, that list is pure axe-murderer dungeon rock. seriously, that playlist could easily have come out of robertson's room anytime.

poobie

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home