Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ender's Game....The Movie

I'm scared. "They" (whoever that is) is allowing Wolfgang Petersen, the schizophrenic director who recently botched "Troy" (though it did make a lot of money), direct a film adaptation of one of my favorite novels. That novel is the Hugo and Nebula award-winning Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card (probably the most famous living Mormon, next to Dale Murphy---who should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame, btw).

While I don't share all of Card's views, I've enjoyed many of his books, articles, editorials and short-stories. Like him, I spent a part of my childhood as a member of the LDS Church, and I've also enjoyed reading some of his religious writings, though without sharing his beliefs.

It will be years before this project comes to the screen, but I can't think of any other project "in the works" that I'll be anticipating more. Many are the times that I've imagined how this stoory would look on the big screen, and while I'm sure that it'll end up horribly botched, I can't supress my excitement. The "Battle Room" scenes will benefit from the special effects advances since the story was written in 1985, and the Harry Potter phenomenon has shown that a movie populated with pre-pubescent characters can be a huge success, even among fans who never read the book(s).

wikipedia entry here.
"official" site here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home