Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Workin' Out

Those of you that have seen me recently are probably aware that I gained about 50 lbs during Ferlie's gestating of Veronica. In the past 7 weeks or so, I've started exercising regularly again, and while I'm nowhere near the level of activity that I was at a year ago, I'm working on it.

Getting back to the weight room was a chore, in large part because I knew that I couldn't start back in my old 4 days a week pyramid pump plan. I no longer have that kind of time (I'd rather be rocking my baby), plus I needed to start back at a more basic level to prevent a new addition to my collection of orthopedic injuries. I consulted my good buddy Mike (who, in addition to being a member of Mensa has a masters degree in Kinesiology/Human Performance Studies). I started doing a 40-min, 3-day a week version of the "Mike Ray Plan", which he's used to turn puny little guys into offensive linemen. I've been pleased with the increases in the amount that I can lift, as well as the number of reps I can do. I guess Mike learned something down at BAMA.

The current lifts are: bench press, cable fly, tricep pulldown, barbell curl, barbell shrug, lat pulldown, and military press. When I'm able to do two "clean" sets of ten (which I follow with a lower-weight set until exhaustion), I go up in weight. I don't have a reliable spotter, so that's why the lower-weight exhaustion sets are added. I haven't tried "maxing" yet, but my goal is to be benching 300lbs by the end of the Summer.

I'm doing a variety of cardio exercises, but the big thing that I need to do is work on the diet. That'll come later....hopefully.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

...Very similar to what I've been doing since September '04. 3 to 4 sets of each - at least 10 reps each set, after having jogged a mile first to get the blood swishin' around. You can have your 300lb goal. My goal is just to keep going !

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home