Friday, December 10, 2004

John McCain...Just say no!

Senator John McCain, a man who I respect, seems to be everybody's choice for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination. I like the fact that he seems to think for himself, and that he has often publically told some of the Republican hardliners to piss off. Unfortunately, he does things like this (threatening federal government intervention in the making of professional baseball rules), reminding me that he's not someone I'd want as president. Making the rules of major league baseball isn't exactly one of the powers granted to the federal government by that old, largely ignored rag, the U.S. Constitution. The use of anabolic steroids, prepared testosterone, and most of the other things being discussed, by anyone in America (baseball players included) is illegal without a doctor's order. Medications/drugs are regulated (perhaps over-regulated) by laws and agencies at the state and federal level(some would argue the constitutionality of the FDA, but that's another post).

McCain's proposal to add federal oversight to the MLB is misguided, and shows, I believe, a basic flaw in the governing philosophy of an otherwise great man. This flaw will keep me from ever supporting him, unless we have yet another "lesser of two evils" election (of which I have no doubt.....sigh).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home